Geese Trimming the Grass

Geese Trimming the Grass
Lawnmowers

Monday, June 8, 2015

From the beginning...........

My Mother would say "Child you have the itchiest feet of anyone I know"  There was no better truth spoken.  I was a rambler and a wanderer.  I have a clear memory of being about 4 years old saying to my Mom I am going to California.  She told me "That was fine but don't cross the street".  So, around and around the block I went asking everyone I met a long the way "Which way is it to California?"  I did not find it that day but I eventually got there. 

Since those very early days I have spent time in many countries and have been able to do what I love.  I am a gardener and an herbalist.  Nothing makes me happier than to have my fingers in the soil growing food, herbs and flowers.  

 The traveling and wandering desire has now led me on a new journey to a new patch of ground.  This blog is part of my new journey and a big part of the new future I am trying to prepare.  I hope that this blog is entertaining enlightening and an education for all of us.  

As my partner and I traveled the desert southwest we would comment on how we loved the area.  We would take any time we could to camp, hike, soak in hot springs of the high desert of Colorado and New Mexico.  We would often comment to one another "Wouldn't it be great to live here!"  But our grown children were all around us in the Denver area and I had a great job that I loved- Why would we move? Why would anyone give up such a great job?

Fate, serendipity or just the natural evolution of life happened and here we are on the brink of moving to a small piece of land in New Mexico.  We find ourselves watching our children are all setting off on new adventures heading off in all kinds of directions to see and experience the world.  My partner's daughters graduating from University with one heading west and one staying in Denver but leaving all options open.  My daughter's family are all heading out to the Pacific Northwest to start a new life near the Puget Sound so now it feels right for us to chase our dreams and jump into this new life.

Friends had seen this place a few months back and found it was not the right fit for them but said to us "You ought to go and see this place"  Jim, my partner was in the area at the time and went to take a look.  Jim sent me the link via the real estate website and I was struck with a thousand ideas of what kind of amazing experiences this place could bring.  A few weeks afterwards I took the time to drive down and look it over.  I was first struck at all the vegetation.  We were in New Mexico but could not believe all the foliage.  Walking through the property I identified Apple trees, Plum trees and tons of Alder trees.  Alder trees tell me a lot.  They whisper the truth that there is a lot of surface water on this property.  The property had me hooked, but then went to look at the house.  An amazing nearly 100 year old adobe.  Walls that are 2 feet thick.  A huge kitchen and pantry.  A real root cellar.  The rooms are all painted in traditional southwest colours- Turquoise and peach.

Moving a head.  Life and progress moves a lot slower in New Mexico than it does in the Denver Metro.  I am so looking forward to a slower moving lifestyle.  This one has become a lot faster than I feel comfortable with.  We hope to close sometime this week.  

The overall plan is to create a sustainable and organic garden farm.  It is a small place so being mindful of the land, water and all resources will be a cornerstone.   Stay tuned as we move forward with the plotting and planning.  I hope this will become a learning experience for all of us.

Till next time.......


4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!! I cannot wait to hear everything about it as you continue to post to this blog! Best of luck on your new adventure! I'll miss you girlie. I think you'll need to Skype book club meetings ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your blog and hearing all about your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to read your blog. I've been blogging my little house since I bought it. It's fun to look back. Do you have a button so I can be notified when you publish a new post? I like the name you gave yours. I still haven't decided what to call mine yet. I call it a homestead but it need a name. Here's my blog address: www.pattysoldhouse.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, this is Patty Bodwell.

      Delete